Sunday, November 23, 2008

the road to machu picchu

I have been in Machu Picchu from Thursday morning to Sunday evening.  It was incredible.

A few things to note about trains in Peru.  First, they are very expensive modes of transportation.  Second, trains take twice as long as a car would take.  How could that be?  
Well, multiple reasons which I pleasantly discovered this weekend:

1. They move forward then move backwards (sometimes they even move backwards for so long that you think you ended up where you started.)

2. They move slower than one would run.  I know this because a young boy was running along the side of the train tracks... and winning the race.
 
Why they cost more is beyond me.  Unfortunately, I believe it to be the only way to get into Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu).  I will not be looking forward to the next train ride.

My train ticket.
There are 3 different options of trains:
1. The Backpacker (the cheapest... and the one I selected).
2. The Vistadrome (with glass ceilings for great views).
3. The Hiram Bingham (fancy-schmancy expensive).

The Backpacker train rolling backwards on the tracks right outside Cusco.

The view from the train.
Moo.

No comments: