Tuesday, September 30, 2008

isla amantaní

After seeing the Islas de Uros, we headed over to Isla Amantaní.  It is a rather small island with 4,000 inhabitants that thrive on agriculture, artisan crafts and tourism.  We arrived at the dock and were greeted by our Peruvian host family.  There are no restaurants or hotels/hostels on the island so home-stay is the only way to go.  The islanders all speak Quechua and a few speak Spanish and absolutely none speak English.  It was quite the experience!

Alex and I in the ethnic Island Garb.  Ohhh, yeah.



The view of Lake Titicaca from Isla Amantaní

The daughter of our host family dressing us in the islander's ethnic garb.



Alex and I with some Israeli friends we met on the boat.  
We were at a town fiesta with dancing and Cusqueña beer!


Alex and I on a hike to the Temple of Pachamama ("Mother Earth")


Templo de Pachatata ("Father Earth") in the background.






Our bedroom on Amantaní.  
The beds were horribly uncomfortable, but we were so tired we could care less.

Look!!  The door to our room!!  Alex is taller than it!

I definitely whacked my head on the door frame too many times to count.  
The door was literally about 4 feet tall.  I am 5'9.

The front door to our host family's house.
They had some gorgeous flowers...gardenias that reminded me of mom!

No comments: